Wednesday 13 May 2015

Whitsta-Bubbles and Seaside Dreams

Yummy Wine
 
 
This weekend I spend most of it in the lovely Kent seaside town of Whitstable.
 
I left from work Friday and me, S & J of the "Train Gang" the girls who I cause havoc with in Amsterdam (see Amok in Amsterdam posts for more details) got the train down from London Victoria. I started the sans baby evening (who was at home with his dad) with a lovely glass of wine at Victoria Station.
 
As I waited for the girls to arrive I met a lovely woman who was over from Spain meeting her son at the station. she was telling me about all her adventures and I mine. This is what we lack sometime in this country just stopping to shoot the breeze with someone while passing away the time. This is exactly how I met the people I was going away with. If I just stayed in my own little bubble I would have never met them and never had the fabulous experiences I've had or forged such good friendships.
 
So when the last of the group finally turned up we hot footed it on to the train down to Whitstable. Of course there was drink and nibbles as it was an hour and a half journey.
 
When and after going the wrong way leaving the station I blame S who also got us lost on the way to the station in Amsterdam as well. Luckily this time it was only a quick detour and we found our was to H folks house where we would be staying for the duration.
 
H was a star and already had the wine open to celebrate our arrival but as we old had 3 bottles S and I headed out to make sure we wouldn't run out. This is where I got my first look at Whitstable properly. First impression so quaint. As it was nearly 8pm all the shop were shut but we did like our amble window shopping in all the fab stores.
 
We found the local Offie (Off Licence) and picked up a few bottles of fizzy stuff and took it back to the house. When we arrived back we were greeted by a table full of yumminess. H & J had put together a buffet of meats, cheeses, breads and dips oh and a bit of chicken.




It went very well with the fizz we got and had a few toast to friendship, life and just general drinking.
Moving on to conversation of what is happening in everyone lives. With H over from Amsterdam we wanted to catch up with all her news.

 

Its great how with friends you don't have to see each other for a while but when you all get back together you just click again and have a fun time.

So much fun in fact that we got a bit silly as the evening dragged on and ended up taking a 2am walk to the beach. Apparently, according to my friend S after showing us the harbour and the ships, the big black expanse in front of us was the sea (who knew right ) lol. As it such a quaint quiet town taking a night-time stroll by the beach is nice a peaceful and thankfully free of reprobates well apart from us.

 
we head back down the high street where I got a couple of incriminating shots of us out and about. Most of us are parent and I want to point out how disgraceful this is, very, very fun and stupid but not what you would expect from such upstanding citizen lol :)



 
 

we got back to the warmth of the home just before 3 then after some wrangling of who was sleeping were we finally drifted off into a nice peaceful (crying toddler free night).

The next morning only slight fuzzy headed we all got up bright and early, well early for the rest of the girls but it was past 8am and all people with toddlers know that nearly a 2 hour lie in...

Co-ordinated us all getting ready and using the bathroom we headed out in search of breakfast.

S recommended a lovely little café/bistro establishment halfway down the high street call Samphire



Beautifully decorated inside with a nice open kitchen so you can see when your food is coming.


The menu is full of locally source produce and the staff are accommodating and very friendly. And thankfully non-judgemental as we all (well apart from J) order either buckfizz/Kir Royal for starters.



Then for breakfast S and I had Egg Royal, like eggs benedict but with salmon instead of the ham. Then J and H who had a discussion only that morning about how they're both nearly vegetarians and have nearly stopped eating meat both ordered a full English.



I think all that talk of meat pushed them over the edge.

Now we where all fuelled up we headed for the high street and its shops. The high street is full of a mix of brick a brack, art and boutique clothes shops and we had great fun popping in and out of each one.

In one of the galleries as it was the literary festival they had a poety tree where people could submit their poems. So I added one of my own, for all the world, well the world of Whitstable, to see.



On the way back up the high street we stopped off at the community centre where they were having a couple of art exhibitions an art market where H bought a sculpture and a nudes postcard exhibit where local people were asked to submit postcard size nudes. The embroidered one was my favourite.
 
H folks  submitted a picture I think it rather good and it obviously a great bit of fun.

 
 
After the girls and bought nearly their body weights in clothes, jewellery, candles and sculpture we headed back to the house to met my Husband and the little man. The rest of the girls where staying an extra night but due to family commitments I could only manager the one :(
 
But the sun was out and we could use the house's wonderful garden. Had to take a pic of the garden and house as it was amazing H dad designed the layout and H mum filled it with all the amazing furnishings. Wish I could pull rooms together like this. Although currently my main decoration of rooms in my house is toys as he seems to get them everywhere. 


We decided to have another wine before they arrived. I went to the fridge to get a bottle and to my horror we had run out. H, S and J were astonished until we though about it and yes we had gone through 6 bottles the night before. in our defence that's only 1 and a half each and it was spaced out from 8pm to 3am.

J and S popped out for more supplies, while the boys arrived. The little man had such a fun time running up and down the garden. He discovered a water feature and loved removing the black stones, much to the distress of me and the amusement of the others.

That's the downside of toddlers they sometime can be un-intentionally destructive whirlwinds which is not too bad in your own home but in someone else and especially a place that obviously had so much care and attention put into it not so much.

so after quick toast we headed out to the beach to help the little one run off some of that steam. We stopped on the way for an Oyster. Whitstable is famous for its Oysters and the one I tried didn't disappoint. They are not everyone cup of tea and I couldn't eat a whole plate but I do like the odd one especially when they are this fresh.



I took the little one to have a look at the sea, making sure I had a hold on him so he didn't decide to go head first into the drink. It was a sunny but slightly windy day so the ocean was choppy and roaring in its wake. Very spectacular but I think the little man was slight scared and windswept.


Before getting in the car and heading back home which was thankfully a lot less of a journey than the train ride we stopped at a harbour front café. Where I had some lovely Moules and my other half and the little man shared in some fish and chips.


I have to say it was one of the biggest bits of fish in a fish and chips and considering we all ate every bite it was very nice.


I really loved Whitstable and even though it was my first time there it will not be my last.

As I got home the Saturday night and with the girls still there and drinking I was involved by text into their conversation and we booked to go back in July for the Oyster Festival. This time I'm staying for the whole weekend and the husband and little one can come down and pick me up on the Sunday.

If anyone is attending I would love to say hi..

No comments:

Post a Comment