Tuesday 7 July 2015

A Flat Peach of a 4th of July


The sun has been out in full force this week in dear old England.

Which did result in some fantastic thunder storms, one lightening strike so loud it woke both the Husband and Me up. The little one didn't stir at all well not from the cacophony of  weather noises but because I got up  to get a drink, the mouse like noise of me tip toeing to the Kitchen was enough to bring him full awake. Have decided that Kids have super sensitive hearing set to Mummy so when I make a noise it deafening to him and he must investigate lol.

So this weekend was pretty full on.

It was my husband Birthday on the 4th, Parent's 40th Anniversary on the 5th and it my Bro birthday on the 9th so we had a bit of a do to celebrate.

On the morning of the 4th I work up early with the little one! Wrapped presents wrote cards and tried to stop him bursting the helium balloon we got for his Dad before he woke up.

Birthday with Kids is a strange affair, pre-kids it was all lie-ins with breakfast in bed and a read of paper and general slovenliness until we decided what we wanted to do. Now it up and go, go, go. the little one loves the excitement and wants to know everything that is going on.

So We managed presents in bed with the boy crawling all over helping unwrap them and finally getting his hands on the balloon to play with it.

For breakfast we decided to go out and went to The Fancy Goat in West Malling. First time visiting and was quite impressed it a lovely light airy space and they do a very good selection for Breakfast.


As it was the 4th of July my Husband opted for Pancakes, with blueberries and Bacon topped off with powdered sugar. He thought they were very good, so good in fact no one got a taste.  ( Luckily We'd already gave the little one his breakfast at home as he can be a bit of a fuss pot).





I had Egg Florentine Benedict which has Spinach and Salmon.



were as my mother in law had the Eggs Benedict.



both were equal as delicious the hollandaise sauce was just creamy enough as to not over power the rest of the dish.

Oh and my husband loved the biscuit they gave with the coffee and as it was his birthday they gave him two.

In the afternoon we were invited to my folks for a barbecue with friends to celebrate there 40 years of putting up with each other lol.. No they are still very happily married (actually a bit sickening) but didn't want to do any thing big so it was a lovely day of friends, family good food and good drink.

(Would have taken more shots but as it was the other half B'day I took charge of the little one so it was difficult to do two things at once)


The food highlight of the day was the Birthday cake my mum got for my Husband, Brother and her best Friend who all have birthdays in the same week. It was a Sweetie cake from The Chocolate Umbrella. Great fun as it had all the retro sweets from our childhood, there was a bit of a fight over the Drumstick.



A great idea, lots of sweets placed on top of marshmallows and I was informed it was gluten free. Although would hate to think what the calorie count was but seeing how many people there were to split it with I can't have consumed that many calories lol :)

Also the little one didn't have any, my son must be the only toddler in the world who doesn't like sweets or chocolate. I'm not knocking it, as I will hopefully get away with the pestering and the sugar highs that come with a sweet loving child.

So all in all a great day out and I didn't travel more than about 2 miles from my front door, which made getting home after very easy and only a hour and a bit outside the little ones bedtime.  Everyone else partied into the night but that's the sacrifice you have to make having a young one, parting is less but crazy cute fun is more :)

Oh and the other foodie highlight was I bought some "Doughnut Peaches" from Asda.




Basically they are like normal peaches only flatter.



Really nice I think they are slightly sweeter than normal peaches and also they are less messy, easier to hold and the stone is smaller. I ate all 4 in only two days.

Think als,o with the right slicer you could get really nice slices for a peach pie mmmmm think I might give that a go in a later blog.

Only other thing I wanted to mention was "Sharknado" for those of you who don't know what it is, its a movie. Well a series of movies.

The best way I feel I can sum it up is it's the most Awful yet epic movie every. I think because it's so bad that that's the reason that make it good. You'll need to see the movie to discover what I mean by that.

Brief synopsis there is a tornado that full of Sharks and as it sweeps in the Sharks attack people, in the second movie the same thing happens but it is based in New York.

Now the 3rd Movie, "Sharknado, Oh Hell No!!!" I'm so excited about this movie as I know it going to be as Bad-Good as the other 2 but it is set in ORLANDO (My spiritual home) taking in Universal Studios  as one of it locations for mayhem.

It comes out later this month on SyFy UK and I shall be watching it. And In honor of its release they have created an Sharknado App where you can picture yourself being eaten by a shark.


Obviously now my new favorite app.

This week,  Friday 10th July, I will be attending the Kent County Show and I will be tweeting ( Twitter Name: @dyslexiccooking ) and hopefully (Depending on Connections) Periscope live from the event.


No comments:

Post a Comment