Thursday 3 September 2015

Bread and Bad Aubergine (Egg Plant)



It was a bank holiday over here in England to mark the end of the summer boo...

Also was typically bank holiday weekend weather,  but hey when you've got a little one all you need is a pair of wellies and a rain coat and you can go out whatever the weather.




Actually not so bothered it's the end of summer as I love Autumn... As you can get down to some serious cooking and also wear some big jumpers to hide the fact you've done a lot of cooking lol..

And with the extra day off I managed to cook up a storm...

Well after we attended my friend son Jack's christening. It was a lovely service and it was so nice to see my University friends and catching up always cool - Although the little one decided to have a bit of a fit when we first got in there which wasn't too helpful. But the magic of milk helped and calmed him down enough to get through the event.

At the reception she had a lovely cake for him and it was EGG FREE - couldn't believe it. It's so great now that they can do lots of things for Allergies and just cause you can't eat something you don't have to miss out :)



As for food at home, I had fun cooking another faux carbonara but decided to spice it up a bit..


I then had a bit of a disaster, I decided to make a Moussaka (first time). I used the Slimming World recipe to make it low fat but I could get the Aubergine (Egg Plant) right.




I cut them placed them on the paper added salt and left them for 20 minutes but they still didn't taste right hmm... Think I might need to take the skin off next time. Or if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

But apart from that the rest of the recipe went find so we had the Moussaka but just removed the Aubergines so it actually turned out more like a lamb mince bolognese.

I do like that about cooking sometimes a disaster can be turned into a good meal.

I also, as promised, got round to making bread.

I made Onion Soda Bread.

with:
250g wholemeal flour
250g Plain White Flour
400ml Buttermilk
tsp of Salt
tsp of Bicarbonate of Soda
100g of Onions




Firstly I mixed the Flours and the bicarb in to a bowl.


Added the onions


and the salt


I then mixed them all together

before making a little well to add the buttermilk

Best if you add it a bit at a time.




Stirred it all up together - actually it's better if you use your hands.



then throw it out on to a floury surface and molded it an oval shape.

Put it on some baking parchment and score a cross on it.  The cross is traditionally cut on the top of the soda bread loaf with a knife as it is supposed to Ward of the Devil and protect the household, which I always find helpful in cooking and it helps to cook it better.






Then I stuck it an 200 degree oven for 30 minutes.. (although I now want to revise this to 35/40 minutes) as it felt a little bit doug-ie when I got to the center.




Take it out and enjoy some yummy warm bread.



The great thing about this bread is it quick and simple and as you don't need to Proof it cut down on the time too.

Although my husband is still on at me to show him how to make a normal loaf of bread so as we're both not working this weekend, if the little man gives us a chance, there might be some more fresh bread being served up in the Dyslexic Cooking household.

The other development of the week is the holiday budget has gone down as it was nearly going to hit 10% but due to the numbers coming to my sons baptism I needed to rent a hall and sort out a buffet  - So glad the money is going on something fun but my Disney world vacation will have to wait a little longer (sad face for lack of Disney).

Although I enjoyed hearing the stories from one of my colleagues who came back from his first trip to Disney World Florida and because of all the hints and tips I gave him before he went he got me a little present.




So that has cheered me up no end and even managed picked my self up a cheeky treat from the Disney Store 





I have made peace that it will take a bit longer to get back to the happiest place on earth. The good thing is I know we will get there in the end and we can have a fun filled family holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment