Wednesday 30 September 2015

Is it ever too late for Kebabs?

Hello and welcome.

Well true to my word I've been cooking up a storm in my house trying to stay healthy and happy and hopefully loose all that weight I put on during the baptism. Although must of that was medicinal, stress eating, it was either start shouting or cram my cake-hole with cake lol.

I started off by just doing a simple salmon, literally buying Salmon from the supermarket and cooking it in the oven. I just added a little flair by cooking a whole red chili on the top. Made it nice and spice but added hardly anything to the calorie count.


My other health discovery of the week, I made butternut squash, Sweet potato and chili soup - so all those ingredients chopped cooked in Stock then blended. Really for soup the weights and measure come down to how thick or thin you want it and how much you want. I'm sure other cooks wouldn't be pleased but I approach soup with throw it all in and hope for the best method. I find simmering for 20 minutes always make the veg tender and as you've cooked in stock it straight to the blender.


But any who, instead of having a slice of lovely hot, buttered crusty bread to dip into it (sorry excuse me when I wipe up my drool as I love bread) I used raw carrot Batons.




"Raw Carrot batons?" I hear you cry in slight dismay but honestly it works. You get a lovely crunch from the carrot and the hot and the cold really add a little something.


Look if I wasn't being healthy it would be bready bread goodness. But if you want a healthy alternative to loose a few extra pounds I would highly recommend it.

Okay time to come clean I have tried this week and have been really good. I'll come on to my fab Kebab recipe later. I must admit I had a tiny slip up but honestly it was all for a good cause. On Friday it was the Macmillan Coffee Morning. Macmillan are a great organisation that offer help and support for people and their families dealing with cancer. My cousin had a Macmillan nurse when she was battling (and unfortunately lost) with Cancer. That was back in the early 2000 they were great then and they still do great work now.

So once a year they get people to have coffee mornings, like a big bake sale with lots of people doing it up and down the country. So I gave in as some guy at work put on a fab spread.


I only had one bit of cake but bought two (gave the second bit away) and I took part in the raffle so did a small little bit to help. But small little bits add up and they raised nearly £800 which is about $1000. So all the people at work little bits added up to that and our total will add up to much more with everyone else.  Meaning they can carry on doing such great work and helping a lot of people.



Also technically charity cake doesn't have any calories. As I'm sure the universe sort it self out, as you're doing something good it won't punish you by adding that cake to your hips.

So after that mini treat I was back on it.

Over the weekend I made some lummy yummy kebabs. I know the summer is over and we have hurtled straight into Autumn and on the downward track to winter's cold embrace.

But hey I'm dyslexic and we have a problem with being organised and getting things done in the right order so your getting summer dishes in the Autumn and I might do a spring salad in the winter lol.

So I made Spicy Lemon Lamb Kebabs.

Really easy to make even though they take a bit of Prep.

So you take the Lamb, Lemon (I prefer fresh but I'm sure juice would work as well) and some chili powder.



Place the lamb into the bowl


Squeeze over the lemon. I do this through my hand to I don't have to pick out the pips :)




Then add as much or a little chili powder as you want.



And stir in. Then you need to let it marinate preferable overnight (at least 8 hours) as you want the flavor to take.

This recipe unlike the normal lamb with mint kebabs, which I find can sometimes be an overpowering taste this is more sublet. Sort of adding more of a zing that an fanfare.

So after the meat is prepared all you need then is some lovely veg - what ever you like. I went simple with Tomatoes, Mushroom and peppers. But you can have courgette (Zucchini) Red Onion to name a few, really what ever takes your fancy.



then all you need to do is alternate between meat and the veg to get the perfect balance of tastiness.






Now you can either cook these under the grill or on a Bar-Be-Que. Although as I said earlier I've sort of missed the BBQ boat. So I put them into the oven for 20 min at 180 degrees turning them half way through.

Also if you have any veg left over you can always throw that in too cook too.



Then serve how ever you want on there own, with rice, put them in a pitta bread..........

So hopefully all my goodness will pay off and a can loose a few pounds before I head off to Scotland for a few days in the middle of October for the little ones 2nd Birthday.

And be thing for my second Amsterdam trip in November.  Definitely will need to loose weight before then as I will be putting on a few pound over the two day period as everything is all so nice to eat and there will be a few drinkies.

That hopefully will slake my Wanderlust for a while. As I went part the airport the other day and saw this.




So made me really, really, really, really (I could go on) want to go away.

I do know this is a very first world problem with all the places and stuff I've done this year I know I am very lucky compared to most. Just need to turn on the news to see that.

But that still doesn't stop me wanted more fun and adventure. I think as long as when I am whining about my next trip to WDW or somewhere exotic I remember how lucky and privileged I am to be able to do that. It won't be that bad. I would say I should give up the whining but think that is asking the impossible, just ask my other half lol (I'm not that bad really).

Oh and my Disney holiday fund is now up to a whooping 2.5% only 97.5% to go lol






No comments:

Post a Comment