Sunday 29 March 2015

Wow Malaysia -Part 2 Batu & Birds

Doing so much on my trip I need to break up my holiday post into lots of parts 

Thursday 26th - Batu Caves

The hubby and I headed off to the Batu caves while the little one got to spend the day with his Nana.

We got a tube to KL Central then on to a train. As many of you know I am part of a little train gang (see Amok in Amsterdam post for some of our antics) but I don't think we could get up to our usual shenanigans with these restrictions.



Transport is so cheap it was less that £2.50 for the both of us to get there and the Batu caves is the last stop so it wasn't that difficult to navigate. 

It was a hop skip and a jump away from the station and you are greated  by a huge statue of Hanuman (apologies if this is wrong I admit my knowledge of this is very limited) 

It's then a slight walk to the bottom of the main cave temple area.

It's up a lot of stairs, oh and what I didn't realise is women can't have there legs showing. Actually if I thought about it beforehand I probably could have worked it out as it is a place of worship. Only excuse apart from being an ingorant tourist is the heat it was around 34 degrees (90+ degrees Fahrenheit).

Luckily they are obviously used to dealing with this as they had sarongs you could hirer for a 5 ringgit deposit as that worked out to a £1 so we let them keep it. 

Going back to the heat for a minute, lots of stairs in direct sunlight was hard going we did need to stop a few times and luckily there's a place to get water at the top as I think I lost my body weight in sweat getting up there.


It is worth the climb the caves are just stunning you can really see why they made it into a temple the part where it opens up and let's in the sun it just breathtaking. 


The caves are also home to wildlife there are a few chickens and roosters.



But mainly Monkeys that roam free around the caves ( the do like to mug people for food, so keep a tight grip on your bag). 


They are fascinating to watch as they bound, jump, run, and leap around the cavernous space. Their Chattering fills the are and you feel like they are the guardians of this amazing space. 

After a bit of contemplation and a lot of Monkey watching we headed back down the steps. About a flight of steps down there's a side area into another cave the 'Dark Cave' where they had other animals and after reading this sign I decided against the tour.

As some of you might enjoy it but going into the darkness surrounded by bats (you could hear their chattering from the mouth of the chasm) you could also run into a trapdoor spider, is Not my thing in anyway shape or form.  

They do have more accessible caves if you are less able to tackle the steps. 

In the cave right next to the train station we came across this guy who seemed to be enjoying himself. 


The train ride back was welcoming with the nice sit down and the air conditioning.

At KL central where we changed I found this cut out and couldn't resist a shot for the train gang. 


As we didn't eat at the Batu caves, we where thinking about it but after seeing a woman getting expertly robbed by the monkey contingence we decided it was probably safer to find food in another location. 

As we had to head back through KLCC on the way home we decided to eat there and we had a Nandos. Okay I know I can have one back home, but they do have a Mayal twist to there offering.

Firstly you order at the table instead of going up to the counter. They didn't have any 'Red Pepper Dip' like they have at home so we tried the 'Vegetables Dip' it was quite nice with its spice twist. 


I had the same main I order in the UK, a chicken wrap (hot). The Malay one comes in more of a Roti/Naan bread rather than a tortilla wrap and the greens are chunky and cubed.


Also I don't know what they've done to the Mango but it's not happy lol


So even though it's a meal I could get back home I enjoyed the local spin on the food. 

The rest of the day was spent with the little man in the pool.

That evening we went to a restaurant in  the outside area surrounding the dancing fountains at the KLCC.

It was called 'Limoncello' and they made their own homemade Limoncello. Now being a few thousand miles away from Italy (I have sampled limoncello when I went to Rome) I decided to give it a go. To accompany my Prawn and courgette (zucchini) carbonara. 

 It was actually very good.

The meal was tasty and it was accompanied nicely by a cold glass of Pinot. I do like eating alfresco in the warm night air.

The little man also enjoyed watching the colour and the lights of the dancing fountains.

Friday 27th - Bird Park

My husband and father-in-law went to the Malaysia Grand Prix practice days so me and the Mum-in-law decided to take the little chap to the 'KL Bird Park' we got the tube to Pasar Seni and then proceeded to walk, a big mistake. We got lost but manage to navigate ourselves to the park it was located in. 

Once in the park there was a big hill to negotiate in the mid morning heat, with a heavy pram and an uncomfortable hot baby to push about. (Not fun) 

Luckily, well depending which way you look at it, we were saved by a buggy driver who for 4 ringgits loaded up the mother-in-law the baby still in the push chair and I on the back. He then proceeded to drive around the whole park at breakneck speed pointing out places of interest as we clung on to the pram and hoped for the best.  Health and Safety isn't the same there as it is back home lol. 


We made it to the park in one piece if not just a little windswept. 

It's a lovely park with all the birds roaming free and the little one did seem to enjoy some of it and was curious of the winged inhabitants. 


Unfortunately it's located on the side of a hill so we couldn't let the little one have free rom as some of the edges are a bit steep for comfort. I think if he was a bit older and more confident with the walking it would have been perfect.

A some of the birds are beautiful.

Even if they do sneak up on you Caw and make you jump out of your skin lol


So with the little one getting irritable especially with the in and outs of getting him back in the push chair we decided to head back.

For all our sakes we got a cab for the journey home, stopping on the way to partake in a particular nice margarita (well 3 but they were little) to steel our nerves after the days events.  


Then spent a pleasent later afternoon resting before having a night in exchanging stories about our day with the boys when they got back..


No comments:

Post a Comment