Saturday 15 November 2014

Amok in Amsterdam -Part 3 (Hungover in Hilversum)

So didn't get to bed till 2am but at 7.30am I'm wide awake. First time abroad from the little one. A perfect opportunity to lie in and I'm up checking my phone.

Didn't feel too bad but I lounged around with water and diet coke. Also harassed my host with amusing text till she got up and got me a glass of juice. 

We all got up slowly embracing the fact we had a late flight. 

When we were all washed and up we headed into Hilversum as the walk would blow away the alcohol infused cobwebs. We chatted about the antics of the day before, filling in gaps for some whose recollection of the night before was fuzzy. 

It was weird going into town as the Netherlands is still a country where shops are shut on a Sunday. Well most shops as there was a supermarket open. Think I like that as there's a place to get the essentials but you have the opportunity to have family time.

H took us to one of her favourite eateries in the town  


Flinders cafe  http://m.flinderscafe.nl was a very nice restaurant. On a Sunday lunchtime it was filled with weird and wonderful people. Men in top hats sipping coffee, tattoo old rockers having lunch with their kids and old couples stopping for a cake during their Sunday walk and a cat.


We Sat down after the festivities the night before I had decided not to drink but as S wanted a drink, and I need only the slightest persuasion, so I joined her. I decided to try another beer this time I opted for a Texan. This was another nice beer, perfect for the morning after. 



We ordered some food. As we waited, I found a selection of Disney cartoon books so took a chance to catch up with my reading lol.



  J & I got sloppy joes. After the waiter telling them it was nicer than you can get in England H & S ordered Fish and Chips.



The Sloppy Joes where lovely they came in a brioche buns topped with bacon and cheese a nice way to get you back to normal after a fun night out.

Unfortunately the waiters boast were slightly unfounded and even though the fish and chips were nice it was a bit on the salty side, which was a shame. 

After the food a couple of the girls had coffee S and I were intrigued by a advertisement on the table for Scrappino. 
After egging each otheron we ordered 2.

It is an amazing drink a fusion of Vodka, Prosecco and lemon sorbet/ice cream. It refreshing and filling at the same time it was so good we had to order another one.


We headed back to H's to finish up packing and wait for the time to click round to the airport. We just had time to help her walk the dogs round the local forest next to her house.  which was a riot of brown and golds in the low autumn sun.


Off to the airport, we went, after what felt like too short a time to fit as much as we did in. By that time I was keen to get home and hug my little man. Although Easy jet had other plans delaying us and not having any excuses Grr nightmare.

So a lot later than expected l, but after the girls where lovely and dropped me home first (even though it easier to drop me last) I was finally home just before midnight. The little one was asleep but I got to see him dreaming. Before heading wearly to bed. 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I got the hat from ASDA, it was so cute I had to have it lol

      Delete