Tuesday 4 November 2014

Tomato & Basil Soup

So on the weekend I was watching 'Home Comforts'with James Martin and he was making Tomato & Basil soup with garlic croutons. Look nice and with is being a bit brisk out, thought I'd make a bastardised version of it. 

So for the soup:
2 cans of plum tomatos
A splash of Olive Oil
Red Onion
Fresh Basil. 

For the croutons:
2 Cloves of Garlic 
Olive Oil
French Bread
Butter 

I started by roasting the garlic for 35 mins at 180 as that way I could give the little one his bath before bed. 

I then heated the oil added the onions (chopped) cooked them off for about 2 mins then added the tomatos I left it on a low heat to start on the croutons.

These where large croutons more like garlic bread slices. I cut big slices of bread oil them then put them on the griddle pad till there where brown ( well two got burnt) then when the garlic was done I added it to butter, which I pre melted, and brushed it on top of the bread.

To finish off the soup I added fresh basil and then blended. VoilĂ  all done.

Verdict: 
It was okay but so tomato-y. Think it would have benefited if I added some cream.

The garlic croutons weren't as nice as I expected (tasted a lot like a garlic fried slice) I think if I had just of done homemade garlic bread slices with cheese it would have made it a lot nicer. 

So if you love tomatos give it a go here's all the ingredients I used. 















No comments:

Post a Comment