Monday 24 November 2014

Sunday Lunch and baking Fun

After my week of highs and lows. I thought I would do something productive with my weekend.

My husband works in Sports TV meaning he works weird and wonderful shifts so this Saturday with him working and the weather being horrible thought I'd give baking a Clafoutis a go.

Although my little one had other ideas as I think he was as board as I was with the wet Saturday. So we played with what I think was every single toy we own. It was actually good fun and for me very therapeutic. It amazing how interacting with a child can make all other problems seem so small. They're just so happy and amused by the most mundane of things which in infectious and cheered me up no end. Another plus it, helped the little one sleep better he did wake up in the night but not as often as he had in the week and not for as long.

So Sunday after being house bound I insisted we at least go out for a bit. With the Grand Prix final in contention I knew I'd have to get him back for that. We decided to try out a new(ish) pub in the area (open March 2014)  The Poppy Field Its a Marston's pub so part of a chain and lacked some of the atmosphere of the other pubs in the area which have their years of history oozing out of the walls. Although unlike these bygone treasures it is amazingly accommodating for Children and ease of access. Wide enough spaces to get the pram around and a lovely colourful play area for little ones which is great. The little one played and discovered while we ordered.
The food was okay too, nothing spectacular but it was a nice meal. I did eat everything on my plate and the menu looked quite interesting with a rotisserie on site. Plan to go back and give that area of the menu a try before I pronounce final judgement on the food. Also even though we didn't order from it the children menu is very good a lot of classic with a slew of healthy items.


Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be going back as it fit in with exactly what we need at the moment from an eating establishment. The food is nice and the staff and the set up are geared to people with young children. Also have to go back as I never did find out what "The Trouble With Lazy Ethel" was lol.


We got back about 10minutes after the Grand Prix had started and with Lewis firmly in the lead and the little one and my husband captivated by the happening on the screen I decided to do some baking. I wanted something quick and easy as I was cooking more for a stress free activity than an actually event. I decided to make Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies

150g Sugar
80G Brown Sugar
80g Granulated Sugar
2 small eggs
225g flour
dash of Vanilla extract
1tps of baking power.
Bag of chocolate chips




Cream the sugars and the butters till creamy, add the egg and Vanilla Essence stir. Sieve in the flour and the baking powers, dump in the chocolate chips and mix together. spoon teaspoon amounts on to a greased baking tray and cook in a 190c preheated oven for 8-10 min an Voila yummy cookies.

 

The mixture does make quite a lot, I got over 30 in my batch; so I brought them into work for a Monday treat. Great way to start the week on a positive note also doesn't hurt to do something nice for you work chums once in a while.



1 comment: